I'm a believer in "there is a reason for everything". I once wrote with a friend, MC, as a writing exercise, a fiction story where we traded off chapters. He would write a chapter, I would write a chapter, and back and forth it would go. It was about our fictional character Higgins, set in 1820's England. Back in those days when I wrote more often....
He gave me several books that still sit on my shelves today: The Waste Land, Beowulf, The Re-Enchantment of Everyday Life. Not the typical books of choice I would imagine...but our friendship was a bit odd too. He was an IT colleague - two computer geeks who somehow hit a chord when it came to literary works and journaling.
It reminds me of a new friend in my life. I've struck a relationship with Haley...where two hours at lunch passes by so quickly talking about work, family, and life. Secret goals shared and admiration between us both.
In The Re-Enchantment of Everyday Life, Thomas Moore says "An enchanted life has many moments when the heart is overwhelmed by beauty and the imagination is electrified by some haunting quality in the world or by a spirit or voice speaking from deep within a thing, a place, or a person."
Haley reminds me of my writing partner Mike. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I feel enchanted by this new friendship. There are many more thoughtful and insightful conversations to be had for certain.
There are people you meet....that make a difference in your life. I think this will be one of those times.
Friday, July 24, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment