Thursday, July 09, 2009

Cancer Scare Update

I did get the news this morning. It's both good and bad. It's not cancer...yet - the good news. But it was pre-cancerous - so I have to have it re-evaluated in two months. Good thing I'm aware of the signs and went in to my doctor!

For those that have never read about skin cancers before - you should! There are signs - called the ABCD's that you should be aware of:

A = Asymmetry: Melanoma lesions are typically irregular in shape (asymmetrical); benign (noncancerous) moles are typically round (symmetrical).

B = Border: Melanoma lesions often have irregular borders (i.e., ragged or notched edges); benign moles have smooth, even borders.

C = Colors: Melanoma lesions often contain many shades of brown or black; benign moles are usually a single shade of brown.

D = Diameter: Melanoma lesions are often more than 1/4 inch or six millimeters in diameter (about the size of a pencil eraser); benign moles are usually less than 1/4 inch or six millimeters in diameter.

Read more here about the ABCDs.

And you should read about the different types of skin cancers, and what they look like.

2 comments:

Sugar and Spice Specialty Desserts said...

Glad to hear the good news! Nothing wrong with a check up, it's just something you are going to have to be aware of (and seems like you already are!).

Soooo, when can WE get together for lunch? I know things are busy but July is pretty quiet I'm just booked next Wed through Sat.

Nic S said...

Had mine checked today! We talked ABCDs and sunscreen. Great post!