Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Saturday's Walkabout - the Locks Cruise

We decided to take the "Locks Cruise" Saturday morning. First, to start this day off accurately, I must say that our hotel to the Argosy pier is over a mile away to start with. And after we purchased tickets, we had time to kill so we walked around the city for an hour.

We decided to not lug the camera bag...so all these remaining Seattle images are from my iPhone...yes it's true...we didn't take a real camera, not even a point and shoot, with us. And I almost forgot I had my phone with me as I kept repeating to Cory..."I wish we had brought the camera". To be honest, it was much too cold and a bit windy to have our hands exposed in the air for too long anyway.On the cruise, we were told that there were many ships docked that are featured on the "Deadliest Catch" tv show. I've never seen it, but my BFF Kerry totally loves that show, so I quickly bared my hand to the freezing cold air (she'll appreciate this as she knows how much of a wimp I am to cold air - I only took one glove off!) so that I could maneuver the iPhone camera. This was the best picture of the North American, and you can't tell in the 2nd one, but I think it's the Wizard in the middle. I only caught the two before we were already moving on. We then passed through the Locks, changing us from sea water to fresh water. This was way cool! This first picture below shows in the distance the bridge that we passed under, which is the 2nd picture. Apparently the cruise ship had to take it's flags down to get under the bridge. Depending on the tide, it has only 3-6 inches of clearance!We then passed the house boat where they filmed "Sleepless in Seattle". Once again, I found myself baring my cold hand for the shot.The cruise ends with us arriving at the backside of the city, where you can see the skyline. Buses awaited us to take us back to the waterfront, but Cory and I decided to hoof it...it didn't look that far to walk back....More to come...

No comments: