Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Maui - 4am is early

We woke up Tuesday morning at 4am to drive up to the summit of Haleakala. This volcanic crater is at 10,000 feet in elevation. And at 37 degrees with winds gusting at 40-50 mph, the temperature with wind chill had to be below zero. I've never been so cold in my life (and I grew up in snow)! We planned ahead for this trip however, and brought hiking jackets, long sleeves, pants, and I even brought gloves and a winter hat. It still wasn't enough to keep us from being frozen solid. Those who woke up early with us were all huddled together in their respective groups to try and use body heat to stay warm. I used Cory as my shield as best I could.We had to be only 15 minutes away from a glorious sunrise when the clouds/fog rolled in. When everyone else left, we waited in the warm car (heat was on full blast) until we could see a break in the fog. We weren't leaving without a few sunny pictures.On the way back down the mountain, it was super cool to see that we were above the cloud line. The clouds were floating like marsh mellows and they cast shadows on the land below. And we managed to see a small rainbow.We drove on yet another road that we hadn't been on before - at the base of the Haleakala Crater turnoff, we headed back into Makawao in order to drive down Baldwin Avenue to get into the old plantation village of Pa'ia. We found two churches along the way - Makawao Union Church and the Holy Rosary Church (another small old church with services only twice a month).

No comments: