Sunday, May 10, 2009

Seriously - have we lost humanity?!

Today my friend Jen called. Worry edged her voice as she told me that her hubby Ron, while out on a mountain bike ride, was hit by a car - and THEY DIDN'T BOTHER TO STOP!!!! Are you kidding me?!?!?! This just pisses me off to the core. Where has our humanity gone? Ron had to crawl out off the side of the road and ride his bike to his car, drive himself to the hospital...because no one stopped. All the while he was bleeding.

Cory and I drove to Auburn so that I could drive Ron's car home. Ron was released with a broken collar bone and 16 stitches to a very nasty gash on his leg. As Cory and I used to ride a lot in the past, we've almost been hit by cars...almost. Cory has told me stories that I hope I never have to experience or none of my friends have to experience. Ron is super lucky today and I'm happy that he's only out of commission for only 6 weeks.

I wish people would pay more attention while they drive. And I wish everyone had an ounce more of humanity in their souls.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry, my husband is a cyclist an it is hard to not worry every time he pedals away.
We are living in an ill mannered, violent culture, but as I tell my children, we need to each start with our own hearts to make sure we are kind and we are choosing do to the right thing.

The Memory Journalists said...

I was raised to treat others the way you wanted to be treated and it's a mantra that I live by each and every day. I agree with you Martha, we need to each start with our own hearts and do the right thing.

Stephanie J Designs said...

How incredibly awful. I can't even wrap my mind around the kind of person you have to be to keep driving after hitting someone. A sick, twisted coward without a care for the well being of others to name a few. My heart truly goes out to Ron and his family.

Bree Wilder said...

That is awful! I don't know how they could live with themselves!