Monday, December 29, 2008

What's on your Bucket List?

We just watched the Bucket List yesterday. It fit my mood. Have you seen it yet? More on the movie later but let me tell you why it fit my mood.
My parents aren't doing so well. And this last trip to Arizona made me think about life, death, happiness, and family. I would give anything for my parents to be in good health and to be at a different place in their lives. Decisions made are permanent, both good and bad, and they are suffering now for the bad ones. This next year will be a tough one I think for our family. And I'm sure you'll get more introspective posts from me as time passes.

Which brings me back to the Bucket List. In this movie, two men (Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson) are both diagnosed with cancer and have 6-12 months to live. They decide to spend their last days checking off things off their "bucket list" - all those things you want to do before you kick the bucket. I love the title of the film.

There were quotes aplenty in this movie that really make you stop and think, or at least they made me stop and think...

“You know, the ancient Egyptians had a beautiful belief about death. When their souls got to the entrance to heaven, the guards asked two questions. Their answers determined whether they were able to enter or not. ‘Have you found joy in your life?’ and 'Has your life brought joy to others?’ "

"I believe that you measure yourself by the people that measure themselves by you."

Life isn't always simple, but I think if we thought of these two quotes more often, it just might be a bit more simple - don't you think? The entire idea behind the bucket list is that you shouldn't ever have regret - whether it be doing or not doing something; and whether it be saying or not saying something that needs to be said.

With that - I'd like to suggest you start your own bucket list. Act as if you have 12 months left to live. Make the items on your list meaningful, practical, and earnest. Make hard decisions if you must, but make them. Don't wait and put life off since it could end tomorrow.

I started my list today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to see your list :)

Anonymous said...

jennifer, this post really spoke to me. i'm in a similar mood as you were on the day you wrote this, for different reasons. thank you for sharing your thoughts. you seem like a very interesting, incredible woman who i hope to get to know better. -haley myers-