
First released in Russia in 2005, but not in the US until late 2007 on a limited basis. I love movies that have quotes that make you think twice. Quotes that you want to remember for later. Better yet was Jason Statham was the leading actor...and he had hair is this film. Other likable stars were Ray Liotta and Andre Benjamin. This film doesn't fit into one genre - it's a crime drama, thriller, and a bit mystery.
Reviews weren't that good. But one I saw caught my attention and I'd have to agree with it:
"Watched Revolver last night. Can't decide if it's one of the most brilliant movies I've ever seen, or one of the most... um... flawed. Maybe it's both."
The movie is full of quotes from others that really were fascinating:
“The greatest enemy will hide in the last place you would ever look.”
—Julius Caesar 75 BC
“The only way to get smarter is by playing a smarter opponent.”
—Fundamentals of Chess 1883
“First rule of business, protect your investment.”
—Etiquette of the Banker 1775
“There is no avoiding war, it can only be postponed to the advantage of your enemy.”
—Niccolo Machiavelli 1502
Later on in the movie, near the end, these two additional quotes appear:
“The only real enemy to have ever existed, is an eternal one.”
—The Road to Suicide, pg 1, line 1
“Your friends are close, but your enemy is closer.”
—The Road to Suicide, pg 1, line 2
There are plenty of other great lines said by the characters. In particular is this gem, spoken by Mr. Green:“One thing I've learned in the last seven years: in every game and con there's always an opponent, and there's always a victim. The trick is to know when you're the latter, so you can become the former.”
And another of my favorites (pardon the curse words): "There is something about yourself that you don't know. Something that you will deny even exists, until it's too late to do anything about it. It's the only reason you get up in the morning. The only reason you suffer the shitty puss, the blood, the sweat and the tears. This is because you want people to know how good, attractive, generous, funny, wild and clever you really are. Fear or revere me, but please, think I'm special. We share an addiction. We're approval junkies. We're all in it for the slap on the back and the gold watch. The hip-hip-hoo-fuckin' rah. Look at the clever boy with the badge, polishing his trophy. Shine on you crazy diamond, because we're just monkeys wrapped in suits, begging for the approval of others."I would love to hear if anyone else has seen this movie and what they think about it?!

3 comments:
Wow! Great post. Love the quotes. I have to say the last bit really hit home... the part about "We're approval junkies." was particularly noted. In this wedding business, I've found that those who are really successful (by my definition) are real approval junkies. Those who want to do the best possible job it is in them to do and then hope they get the approval of their peers and clients.
The concept is definitely a theme in Eastern philosophy & I was absolutely amazed to see it referenced in Revolver..
Its about True freedom, & as long as you listen to the voice in your head you are under its control, you are not free.
Basically just notice how that voice in your head controls you.. Some of the time its fine, I mean its there for a reason, like when it tells you its dangerous to walk across a highway but notice when its affecting you adversely, when it causes you to anger, or to hate, tells you to get into a fight, basically when its controlling you..
The concept is definitely a theme in Eastern philosophy & I was absolutely amazed to see it referenced in Revolver..
Its about True freedom, & as long as you listen to the voice in your head you are under its control, you are not free.
Basically just notice how that voice in your head controls you.. Some of the time its fine, I mean its there for a reason, like when it tells you its dangerous to walk across a highway but notice when its affecting you adversely, when it causes you to anger, or to hate, tells you to get into a fight, basically when its controlling you..
Post a Comment