Saturday, December 08, 2007

Maui - Friday's Day Trip

Meet Mikey. He's our jeep on this trip. Yesterday we got him very dirty! :-) We went around the north end of the island. Local maps highlight "CAUTION - The road along this north side of Maui is for the most part a narrow, winding, one-lane road. Drive at your own risk." They aren't kidding. I'm enclosing some of the numerous signs you come across and some shots of the winding narrow road. There are mirrors set up so that you can see if there is oncoming cars. Regardless, I highly recommend this drive. It's so worth it.We stopped in several places along the way, where there were turnouts, and in some cases where we couldn't get out of the car, we just slowed down and either Cory or I leaned out the window. :-) The stacking of the rocks is a tradition done by those who stop.In the small old village of Kahakuloa, we stopped at Lorraine's for some hot out-of-the-oven banana bread. We also loaded upon some very spicy beef jerky and toasted coconut for our future hikes. Steve from Lighthaus Camera in Lahaina told us about Lorraine and Julie's small competition for "the best banana bread on the planet". Julie has signs along the way, whereas Lorraine is a bit more low key. We think her bread was the best!In the small village we found another old church. The only two headstones were of a father and son. One was a soldier in WWI and the other a soldier in WWII. After leaving the small village, we looked back and caught this shot of the entire little valley.As we got closer to Waihe'e we found some artist colonies and galleries that are worth stopping at - even is just to talk to the people who operate them. The landscape varied along the way from rough cliff lined roads to rolling green pastures. Along the cliff lined side we found these carvings in the walls as we drove along - ahhh "just married". And I love this shot of the blue sky and the fence posts!We found one more church in Wailuku. It was located close to Cory's new employer.And lastly, last night while walking along the beach back in Ka'anapali we captured this sunset on our new point and shoot.
We're off today to check out Kihei and the south western area of Makena.

2 comments:

Bree Wilder said...

SO beautiful!! I love Hawaii!

Anonymous said...

Mikey? You name your rental cars too? I'll have to tell my husband. I'm always giving him a hard time about naming rental cars. Cars that you own, that I can understand (mine's named dieter).